Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Stawberry Cake

My photo isnt very good, but the frosting.....ahhh...i keep eating the frosting!!!!

My cold must be going away because i have my appetite back. The husband has class tonight and will come home to Pinon AND Strawberry Cake. I had leftover Ricotta cheese from that terrible shepherds pie i made last week, and i've had it in my head to use it in some sort of dessert. To top that off Emilios Produce, a cute little store on California Ave. and Milwaukee Ave. was carrying some gorgeous looking strawberries yesterday. I went in to buy tissue because my cold was hitting, but instead I left with $24 of fruits and veggies. So, my sweet tooth kicked in tonight and I found a Strawberry cupcake recipe: http://asweetfantasy.blogspot.com/2008/07/strawberry-cupcakes.html

In the midst of making the recipe, I got really lazy and predicted I wouldn't want to clean all the individual cupcake cups later, so i poured the batter into a cake pan instead. I also combined all my ingredients at once, instead of all the steps cupcake girl above does.

Heres the Recipe I created

For the Cake

1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup strawberry sauce
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs


For the Strawberry Sauce

2 cups of fresh strawberries, stem removed
Sugar to taste


For Strawberry Frosting
8oz of Ricotta or cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
2 - 4 cups powdered sugar,(depending on how sweet you want your frosting!)
1/4 cup of strawberry sauce


1. For the Strawberry Sauce, macerate strawberries with about 1-2 tbs sugar for 15 minutes. Put strawberries in a small saucepan and heat under medium heat with lid on. Cook strawberries for approximately 15 minutes till strawberries cook down and become soft and saucy. Adjust sweetness with sugar until you get the desired sweetness. Using a hand blender, puree until you get the desired smoothness or chunkiness. Cool before using in recipe.

2. For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grab a large bowl and beat the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, sauce, milk, and salt.

3. Pour into cake pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

4. For Strawberry Frosting, bring cheese and butter to room temperature. Beat butter and cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add half of the sugar, beat until combined. Add strawberry sauce until you achieve the right color and flavor but making sure not to add too much or the frosting will be too soft. Gradually add any remaining sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like.

1 comment: