Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I splurged: Time and $


I decided to go downtown with jason this morning. I wasn't called for a sub job, and i needed to return a book to Borders. I also saw the Munch exhibit(see below). The Museum doesnt open until 10:30am, so I had about an hour and half to kill.

I always buy my books at extreme discount, used, from amazon.com. Then, i promptly re-sell them on Amazon to get some $ back, after i'm done reading them. I think it's a waste of money to buy new books from the store. A book selling for $16 in the store can be found for $.01 online. That said, it is so much fun browsing for books in a store. I have been to a book store maybe 2 times in the past 5 months. During those 2 times I accidentally bought a book I had already read. Did you read that? The TWO special, fancy times i went to a bookstore, I made the same mistake. Different books, but same problem. I thought they were books i had just pondered over many times. Is my brain going downhill at 30? ANYhow, i went to Borders today to exchange the book i bought on Sunday(a book, after getting through the 4th page i realized was eeeerily very familiar). My other book buying rule is to never buy a hardcover because they're so much more pricey than a paperback. Well, i broke so many book rules today. I bought a new hardcover book from a bookstore. The Lost City of Z, a true story about a daring Amazon expedition. I had stumbled across this review recently and as soon as I saw it at the store, I had to have it. I splurged. But this is rare.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/books/17kaku.html

I will probably not talk to much on this blog about my book choices because that's what my goodreads.com account is for. I have reviewed close to 200 books on that site if you are interested in joining. But, this was a big event today.

No comments:

Post a Comment