Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Becoming Edvard Munch" Exhibit


Edvard Munch
Norwegian, 1863–1944

Moonlight, 1895


Edvard Munch
Norwegian, 1863–1944

Kiss by the Window, 1892

I visited with the husband for coffee for his 10am break, and then was lucky enough to go to lunch with him at noon. In between, I went to The Art Institutes new Munch exhibit. I was hesitant to go because I photographed a lot of the work for the catalogs,etc. this summer when i was still a Photographer there. I saw a few of the pieces way too many times and was kind of sick of him after a while. I am very happy I went, however, because it was a great show and there were many pieces on loan from various museums I hadn't seen as of August(when i left)!

I was particularly moved by "Kiss by the Window". It's enormous. I looked at it for 2 seconds and there were tears in my eyes. I ran into Jay, the curator of the show, when i later visited some offices of co-workers, and she said i was moved by it because i'm a newlywed. Maybe.

I also really liked "Moonlight". Something about the geometric shapes in the sand and the reflection....so unlike my artwork. Really inspiring for some reason. This, too, was also quite a large painting.

Many of the displayed art pieces were by other artists who had influenced Munch (which explains the title of the show.."Becoming Edvard Munch"....basically who shaped his art making). Anyhow, great show. Go see it if you're in chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment