Sunday, March 8, 2009

Coconut Custard Tart Pie


I'm not even sure if this bakery is still around, but I can still taste the Coconut Tarts from the bakery in Frederiksted that we used to buy on our way to or from Pony Club. If I had gotten married on St.Croix, I always imagined buying a hundred of those rather than a cake. So, here I am attempting to satisfy my nostalgic palette. Plus, I adore anything with coconut. This recipe is much more custardy, but still passed the Jason test. He liked it better than my more flaky attempt a few months ago.
If anyone has a good recipe for REAL Crucian Coconut Tarts, please let me know!!!

This original recipe is from "Paula Dean", on the Food Network. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/french-coconut-pie-recipe/index.html

However, I always take the Review suggestions seriously when making recipes, so I adjusted the recipe according to some suggestions, and my own cravings. (Like i added half coconut milk instead of all regular milk) I think it turned out fabulous looking!! Very fluffy. It's still cooling off.


Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 teaspoons of nutmeg
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
• 1 1/2 cups milk (I used half coconut milk, half regular milk)
• 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, nutmeg, eggs, flour, sugar, coconut, and milk. Mix. Pour into pie shell. Bake until firm, about 45 to 60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment