Saturday, April 11, 2009

Traveling with Books

Appropriately, a photo of a bookstore I shot while in India.

I saw this article on the Travel Channel website today,Eight Books You Shouldn't Travel Without, http://www.worldhum.com/features/lists/eight-books-never-to-leave-home-without-20090203/.
Most of the time I find it difficult to read when I'm on vacation. There are exceptions of course. If I'm on a plane or in an airport, I read. If I'm visiting home, St.Croix, I read. But if I'm in a new place, there to see the sites, experience the culture, I feel very strange doing something I could easily do while not vacationing. I have this urgency of possibly missing something if my nose is stuck in a book.

I have only one memorable book that I read while traveling. In 1998 I was on a 6 hour train ride from Varanasi to Agra, India. The 6 hours turned into 24 hours because they decided to loop North instead of heading the initial direction. The only female, not wanting to fall asleep in a cabin filled with military men, not hiding their enormous guns, I read practically all of The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand (and this is not a small book). It was an impactful read because of the setting I read it in, and probably because I read it straight through.

Anyone else have a memorable story about reading a book while traveling?

No comments:

Post a Comment