Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mmmmmmmeat Loaf.



Rustic French Meatloaf actually....
As I prepared for the weekly supermarket run last week, I poured over various recipe sites, making my shopping list. I discovered this meatloaf that had pistachios, prunes, and advertised a "French pate flavor". The recipe also included chicken livers, which I never thought I'd even CONSIDER purchasing, ever. But, I made the list and was on my way. Well, turns out the Supermarket, on TWO visits, decided my chicken liver fate for me, by not having them in stock. "We are out." Out? Who else uses chicken livers? Do I have a clone walking around making French meatloaf? I see lots of other chicken products in this place....where'd you put their livers? They ALSO didn't have ground veal. I considered buying veal filets and grounding them, but I got kind of grossed out by that thought, so followed the advice of one of the reviews on the recipe site suggesting Turkey and Pork. (sorry vegetarians, I should have warned you to skip this posting, although "meatloaf" should have been a big sign) Pistachios were also hard to come by since they confiscated most of the pistachio brands due to Salmonella last week. I found a lone Planters mixed nuts on a back shelf. How did I have the patience to pick out the pistachios from the various other nuts, you ask? I didnt. I made a deal with Jason, I would give him the container ONLY if he promised to eat any nut except the Pistachios. It made my life much easier last night while making this because the container was filled with all Pistachios!

Verdict: Jason called the recipe "Dynomite!" and had 2nds, AND Leftovers Snob(my husband who sticks his nose up at anything that has been in the fridge longer than 24 hours), requested a meatloaf sandwhich for lunch!

This recipe was easy and soooo yummy. Next time I will delete the sprinkled Parsley on top(I decided I don't really like Parsley). I served it with french bread, 2 teeny potatoes, some cornichons(my favorite!) and a tiny salad. Jason was adamant about adding ketchup. And I see now that Dijon Mustard is suggested, but I forgot. **I think the milked-bread crumbs were key. I tore off pieces of the french bread i bought, soaking them in milk. It really helped keep the loaf moist and succulent.

Also I used a metal loaf pan, and kept it in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Epicurious saves the day again...
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Rustic-French-Meatloaf-352292


1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (preferably from a rustic loaf)
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound chicken livers, separated into lobes, trimmed, and rinsed
3/4 pound ground pork
3/4 pound ground veal
1/4 cup chopped prunes
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Accompaniment: Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 475°F with rack in middle.

Soak bread crumbs in milk in a small bowl.

Cook onion, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in oil in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.

Purée livers in a blender, then transfer to a large bowl. Add pork, veal, prunes, pistachios, thyme, eggs, bread-crumb mixture, onion mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and gently mix with your hands until just combined.

Transfer meatloaf mixture to an 81/2- by 41/2-inch glass loaf pan (see cooks’ note, below) and bake, covered with foil, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 165°F, 50 to 55 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Cover top of meatloaf with parsley before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment