Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scandinavian Vegetable Soup with Shrimp



I was looking for a semi easy vegetable or chicken soup the other day and found this recipe. I'm part Scandinavian, so here's a shout out to my ancestors. I'm also a sucker for anything with cream in it.
I was making it to be on the table by 6pm, when Jason walked through the door. But, as I was about to add the finishing touches, I heard he had to stay at work late and wouldn't be home until 7! Noooooooooooooo! So, i put the heat on real low, and added a 1/2 cup of cream a little bit later. Even with that addition, the soup wasn't very soupy by the time 7 rolled around. I'm assuming it's because I added an extra hour cooking time! STILL, it was very satisfying. The flavors were subtle, and it wasnt rich or over powering. Using dill kind of scared me(the smell of dill kind of gave me a head ache...or it was the 35+ middle schoolers I dealt with earlier in the day...maybe a combo?) , and I shockingly had sherry in my cabinet...i think i bought it for some recipe a long time ago. Also, i dont own a thermometer, so i ignored that part. I just simmered it really low. So, i reccommend this if you want a nice, warm you up soup/stew.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Scandinavian-Vegetable-Soup-with-Shrimp-10560

  • 1 carrot, sliced thin
  • 1/3 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen peas, thawed
  • 1 cup 1/2-inch cauliflower flowerets
  • 1 small boiling potato, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch dice, and reserved in a bowl of water
  • 1/4 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 ounces fresh spinach, coarse stems discarded and the leaves washed well, spun dry, and chopped fine (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/4 pound small shrimp, shelled, deveined if desired
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
  • 1 teaspoon dry Sherry if desired

Preparation

In a large saucepan combine the carrot, the peas, the cauliflower, the potato, drained, and the green beans with 2 cups salted cold water and boil the mixture for 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the spinach and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. In a small bowl whisk together the half-and-half and the yolk, stir in 1 cup of the vegetable mixture, a little at a time, and stir the yolk mixture gradually back into the pan. Cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute, or until a thermometer registers 160°F. (but do not let it boil). Add the shrimp and simmer the mixture for 1 minute, or until the shrimp are pink and just firm. Add the salt, the chopped dill, pepper to taste, and the Sherry, divide the soup between 2 large soup bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment